Posted January 4, 2018 R-130261
The Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) provides overall leadership of the company's corporate accounting, tax and hotel shared service center accounting and treasury functions. The CAO is responsible for setting accounting policy that is in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and ensuring that the company’s business processes are effective and efficient. The CAO will also provide strategic oversight of the global income tax function and ensure compliance with international, federal and state filing requirements. This role will oversee the internal control framework, ensuring that it is designed to support the company’s financial reporting objectives, deliver quality financial information to the business and external stakeholders on a timely basis and ensure that the accounting team across the organization has the skills, abilities and resources necessary to achieve their objectives.
This position is responsible for the following areas: technical accounting, all operational accounting (GL, AP, AR) at both corporate and the shared services center in Dallas, internal and external financial reporting (both GAAP and IFRS), hotel treasury, corporate income tax and hotel sales and use tax.
- Develop strategy, short and long range operating objectives, organizational structure, staffing requirements and deployment of resources for all accounting, hotel treasury and tax operations; provide continual leadership, training and development to accounting, hotel treasury and tax leaders and team members.
- Partnering with the CFO to determine accounting and tax implications for all material business decisions; collaborate with the CFO to improve overall company performance.
- Evaluate current business processes and identify gaps in business process; propose solutions; work with the accounting leadership team to create and implement new and enhanced business policies and processes that improve efficiencies.
- Manage transaction accounting, SOX, the closing process, and other financial controls; oversee Global General Ledger functions; assure accuracy, timeliness, and conformity with professional accounting standards and best practices in accordance with GAAP, IFRS, and in-country statutory requirements.
- Oversee global tax compliance and strategy; responsibility for global income tax and US hotels related sales & use tax compliance; ensure filings are in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Responsible, for ensuring that the company has adequate internal controls to ensure that the financial statements are free of material misstatement; perform an internal review of the controls during the year to ensure they are functioning as designed; act as a liaison to external auditing firms, while owning primary responsibility for the Company’s views on technical accounting matters.
- Responsible for ensuring that the company is applying accounting policies that are in accordance with GAAP, and keeping abreast of proposed changes in accounting standards to proactively understand the impact to the company and report that to the Executive Committee.
- Other duties, projects and ad hoc reporting as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; CPA required; Master’s Degree preferred
- 12+ years of relevant experience including some public accounting (preferably Big 4). Several years of private company experience is required.
- Previous experience as a Chief Accounting Officer in an organization of similar size and complexity.
- Previous SEC experience preferred.
- Strong technical accounting experience and skills including GAAP, SOX, Internal Audit compliance.
- Previous international statutory and structural set-ups experience and knowledge of IFRS.
- Previous experience with oversight of Income tax provision and compliance Extensive experience in setting the strategic direction and operational objectives of a large team.
- Proven experience leading leaders and providing mentoring, coaching and development to create high performing teams.
- Demonstrated experience in business process improvement.
- Experience in a large, multi-unit, multi-state environment.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong influencing skills and ability to interact with all areas of the business.
- Strong customer service orientation and skills; thrive in a team environment as well as being able to work independently.
- Must be proactive, self-motivated, and excellent at problem-solving; must possess an impeccable attention to detail.
- Must possess outstanding collaboration skills, with proven ability to work with multiple stakeholders across department and business lines to accomplish goals.
No. of employees supervised: 4-5 directly; 100+ indirectly
Travel required: 25%- 40%
This position is based in our Arlington, VA office.
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
Interstate will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against associates or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another associate or applicant. However, associates who have access to the compensation information of other associates or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other associates or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by Interstate, or (c) consistent with Interstate’s legal duty to furnish information.
4501 N. Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22203
Interstate Hotels & Resorts
Our Experience. Your Success.®
Interstate Hotels & Resorts is the leading global hotel management company. Hotel owners, developers and guests discover the Interstate difference in our 425 hotels, resorts and conference centers with nearly 75,000 rooms located throughout the U.S. and around the globe.
Our rich history spanning more than 55 years of innovation, consistency and success is unmatched in the hospitality industry, making Interstate the preferred hotel management company of major global brands. It also allows our associates to consistently deliver results for real estate investors, ownership groups, publicly-traded REITs, privately held companies, and private equity funds today and in the bright future to come.
Interstate, from startup to stardom
From relatively humble beginnings in 1960, Interstate Hotels & Resorts has evolved to become a leader in the hospitality industry. Once the owners of a single property in Erie, Pennsylvania, we’ve expanded internationally and are now recognized as the leading U.S.-based third-party hotel management company. Along the way, we’ve forged partnerships with major brands in the industry and earned a reputation for high-quality, performance based operations.
To be the leading, independent, multinational hotel operator.
To be the leading, independent multinational hotel operator by creating a rewarding work experience for all of our associates, providing exceptional guest service, and generating superior returns for our owners and co-owners.
We didn't just stumble upon our success. Since the beginning, we've believed in delivering excellence by living our core values. It's these values that got us to where we are today and will guide us into the future. If you share these same values you will be a great fit for the Interstate team.
- INTEGRITY: Strive to do the right thing and display honesty and fairness in all words and actions.
- TEAMWORK: Consistently identify opportunities to assist your fellow associates.
- RESPECT: Promote diversity and treat others with mutual trust and respect.
- EXCELLENCE: Make a difference by delivering exceptional service and performing beyond expectations.
- INNOVATION: Constantly create new ideas and improve on ways of doing things.
- COMMUNICATION: Be a leader in your hotel regardless of your position and encourage open communication.
- SERVICE: Be of service to our guests, our communities, and to each other.