Courtyard Monterey Park
Posted January 2, 2019
EXECUTIVE CHEF JOB DESCRIPTION
- Hire, train, supervise, schedule and participate in activities of chefs, cooks and other personnel involved in preparing, cooking and presenting food in accordance with productivity standards, cost controls and forecast needs.
- Listen actively and communicate clearly while interacting with customers to promote food products and directing staff activities. Analyze feedback from clients and employees, make judgments and take action to implement suggestions for improvement. Maintain working rapport with all Hotel staff for efficient operation and service to customers. Organize and conduct meetings.
- Create and implement new menus and individual menu items for all outlets based on current food trends and regional taste. Develop innovative menu selections for special banquet themes and parties in accordance with client budgetary considerations and expectations. Confer with Director of Food and Beverage regarding new selections and changes.
- Audit food storeroom items and storage to maintain consistent quality products and ensure adherence to all health code requirements. Enforce safety procedures and cleanliness throughout kitchen(s) including walk-in and reach-in boxes.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the Hotel.
- Assist GM in estimating annual food budget.
- Dine at local restaurants to observe the latest trends in food presentation and pricing.
- Monitor outlets during peak period to oversee production flow and presentation.
- Maintain vacation schedule for proper staffing.
- Report any equipment in need of repair to Engineer for service.
- Perform other duties as requested, such as VIP parties and staff meetings.
- Participates in Manager on Duty program when necessary. Handles and resolves guest complaints while executing MOD responsibilities.
- Considerable knowledge of mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) necessary to interpret reports and budgets.
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight to marketing, cost and wage control.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Ability to analyze forecast data and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English to comprehend and communicate job functions.
- Finger/hand dexterity in order to operate food machinery.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise move goods weighing a maximum of 150 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication lines between line staff and Food and Beverage Director.
- Ability to stand, walk, and/or sit continuously to perform essential functions for an extended period of time.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations, distinguish product taste, texture and presentation and observe preparation.
- Artistic ability to create theme menus, ideas for ice carvings, decorations, etc.
- Education: Any combination of education and experience equivalent that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. High school education required. Culinary schooling a plus.
- Experience: Must have prior experience as a Sous Chef or Executive Chef with knowledge of most international and domestic dishes.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES:
- Ability to obtain any governmental required licenses or certificates. For example: Food Handler's permit as required in state where employed; CPR certification and/or First Aid training preferred.
Interstate Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please call (703) 387-3830 or email ADA.Assistance@interstatehotels.com with the nature of your accommodation request and include the Hotel location and title of the job opening. Please allow one (1) business day for a reply.
Courtyard Monterey Park
288 Room Hotel
The Atlantic Gateway Courtyard by Marriott is a six-story, 288-room hotel with ancillary retail space situated on a 2.14-acre site located on the southwest corner of Atlantic Boulevard and Hellman Avenue. The hotel is just off of the San Bernardino Freeway (10 FWY) providing easy access for travelers. The 210,390 square foot project will include two subterranean parking levels containing 351 spaces, along with 14 surface-level spaces providing adequate off-street parking.