Overnight In Room Dining Specialist - Part TimePart Time
Posted January 12, 2020
157 High Street
Portland, ME 04101
Telephone (207) 775-5411
Position Summary: The Overnight Room Service/Prep Cook has two focal areas: prepare and cook all food for In-Room Dining (Room Service) orders, as well as maintain cleanliness in the kitchen, including managing the dishwashing station.
Accountabilities: The Prep Cook is responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of food items for In-Room Dining (Room Service), as well as a clean and well-kept kitchen.
Education & Experience:
- At least 1 year of cooking experience in a hotel or related field preferred
- At least 1 year of experience in a hotel or related field
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
Tools & Equipment:
- Various cutlery, can opener, blenders, gas range, deep fryer, griddles, char-broiler, conventional oven, choppers, meat grinder, meat slicer, convection ovens, deck ovens, range tops, broiler, steam table, various refrigeration/freezers, toaster, scales, steam kettles, chafing dishes, hot boxes, panini press, and turbo chef
- Rolling carts
- Dish machine, mops, brooms, buckets, cleaning supplies, various rolling carts, all other dish washing machines, calculator, scales, hand truck, pallet jack and computer,
- Under variable temperature conditions
- Under variable noise levels
- Around chemicals, fumes and or odor hazards
- Around dust and or mite hazards
- Long hours sometimes required
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects
- In and out of refrigerators/freezers with some frequency
- Working near/with hot oven
- Near Vision - The ability to see details at close range
- Ability to stand for long periods of time without sitting or leaning
- Oral and Written Comprehension and Expression - Must be able to convey & understand information and ideas in English
- Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately
- Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying, and solving problems as necessary
- Must work well in stressful, high pressure situations
- Must maintain composure and objectivity under pressure
- Comprehend and follow recipes
- Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the concerns and issues raised by co-workers and guests
- Mathematical Reasoning - Must be able to work with and understand basic arithmetic functions
Duties & Functions
- Strong knowledge of In-Room Dining menu and all contents and ingredients
- Ensure all In-Room Dining menu item ingredients are prepared and ready for orders
- Follow all proper order taking protocol; demonstrate excellent communication with Service Express team
- Assist in cooking late night food for in-room dining: use of microwave, ovens, grills, chopping, prepping.
- Manage and maintain all tools & equipment, while keeping them clean & sanitized
- Assume daily responsibilities according to schedule and business needs
- Requisitioning of food, beverage and dry goods from the storeroom
- Manage and maintain dish station
- Ensure breakfast line is set for breakfast cook.
- Ensure breakfast buffet is set for AM FOH staff.
- Ensure all breakfast buffet items are cooked off ready with appropriate back up in relative for amount of in house guests.
- Ensure all prep work designated by evening and morning supervisors is prepped, stored and dated accordinarly.
- Ensure that dish machine is working properly and is operating at proper temperature
- Ensure that refrigerators, freezers, working areas and kitchen are kept clean
- Ensure that equipment is functioning, sanitized and that any maintenance is reported to Kitchen Management
- Ensure strict control of waste and portion and help to control food quality and cost using standard recipe methods, pictures and maintain low inventory
- Ensure compliance with all local liquor laws, and health & sanitation regulations
- Ensure departmental compliance with S.O.P.s
- Keep immediate supervisors fully informed of all challenges or matters requiring his/her attention
- Maintain cleanliness of kitchen areas, and loading dock area, in accordance with property and state cleanliness requirements
- Wash all dishes, pots pans, glasses and cutlery according to property standards
- Hand wash pots and pans as needed
- Operate the dish machine in the prescribed manner
- Thoroughly clean and wash all kitchen equipment, hoods, storerooms, hallways, dock, machines, floors, and walk-ins
- Empty trash and wash cans
- Comply with all loss prevention guidelines
- Report any faulty equipment immediately
- Store clean items in designated areas
- Arrange kitchen equipment including machines in designated areas after cleaning
- Set up working areas as required
- Set up utensils as required
- Stock kitchen areas, restaurant, banquet and service areas with designated wares, utensils, and equipment
- Clean kitchen area, including: sweeping, washing & mopping
- Follow direction of all kitchen leadership
- Participate in all hotel and departmental meetings as requested
- Follow all food safety guidelines set forth by Marriott and OSHA
- Approach all encounters with guests and employees in a friendly, service oriented manner
- Maintain regular attendance in compliance with New Castle standards, as required by scheduling which will vary according to the needs of the hotel
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing the proper uniform and name tag when working
- Comply at all times with New Castle standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations
Interstate Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please call (703) 387-3888 or email ADA.Assistance@interstatehotels.com with the nature of your accommodation request and include the Hotel location and title of the job opening. Please allow one (1) business day for a reply.
The Westin Portland Harborview
289 Room Hotel
The Westin Portland Harborview provides travelers a perfect vantage point to explore Maine's largest city. Originally opened in 1927 as the Eastland Park Hotel, this historic hotel has been immaculately restored. Visitors can take a short walk to discover the Old Port and some of the best restaurants, retail shops, museums and artistic venues in Maine. Guests will leave feeling better than when they arrived when they stay over in our plush rooms and suites. Each of the guest rooms feature a stunning view of downtown, the harbor or Casco Bay. Guests can enjoy a thoroughly satisfying night's sleep in a Westin Heavenly® Bed. They can re-energize in our state-of-the-art Westin WORKOUT® Fitness Studio or relax with a massage, manicure and more at Artné Spa. We offer on-site dining, including the timelessly chic Top of the East rooftop restaurant with panoramic views. Weddings and meetings thrive here with nearly 15,000 square feet of event space and a spectacular grand ballroom.