Director of Operations
Posted February 12, 2020
157 High Street
Portland, ME 04101
Telephone (207) 775-5411
BASIC PURPOSE: Plan and manage two major functions of the hotel (e.g. the food & beverage and room operations) to achieve customer (guest, employee, corporate and owner) satisfaction and quality service while meeting/exceeding financial goals.
ORGANIZATIONAL SCOPE: Position is responsible for short and long term planning and day-to-day operations of two major functions in the hotel. Develops and recommends the budget, marketing plans and objectives and manages within those approved plans. Act as Guest Satisfaction Champion of the Hotel. Leads and coordinates the operational teams focus to achieve the highest levels of guest satisfaction.
1. Manage the Human Resources in the group in order to attract, retain and motivate the employees; hire, train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, conduct performance and salary reviews, resolve problems, provide open communication vehicles, discipline and terminate as appropriate.
2. Develop, recommend, implement and manage the group's annual budget, business/marketing plan, forecasts and objectives to meet/exceed management expectations.
3. Implement company programs (IHR/Franchisor), develop local programs and procedures and manage the operations of the group, ensuring compliance with SOPs, safety regulations and all other federal , state and local laws and regulations to ensure optimal levels of quality service and customer satisfaction.
4. Resolve customer complaints as appropriate to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction and quality.
5. Implement emergency organization procedures and training through the management of the security staff to ensure appropriate protection for the hotel guests, staff and company assets.
6. Execute and promote the Accident Prevention Program to minimize liabilities and related expenses.
7. Manage the maintenance/sanitation of the front and back of the house to protect the assets, comply with regulations and ensure quality service and customer satisfaction.
8. Assume the responsibilities of the General Manager in his/her absence.
1. Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILS:
Education: A four year college degree or equivalent education/experience
Experience: Five to ten years of employment in a related position with this company or other organization(s)
Skills and Abilities:
Requires advanced knowledge of the hospitality and business management fields. Requires considerable working knowledge of other major areas and the skill to integrate and communicate that information. Requires studying, analyzing and interpreting complex activities or information in order to improve know practices or develop new approaches.
Ability to make decisions with only general policies and procedures for guidance and keeping the General Manager informed of general direction. Requires highly developed communication sills to frequently negotiate, convince, sell and influence other managerial personnel, hotel guests and/or corporate clients.
No. of employees supervised: One to five hundred employees
Travel required: Required for meetings, training, conferences and task forces
Hours Required: Forty to fifty hours over a five day period; flexible; days and times may vary based on need.
*Full Job Description Available During Interview
Interstate Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please call (703) 387-3888 or email ADA.Assistance@interstatehotels.com with the nature of your accommodation request and include the Hotel location and title of the job opening. Please allow one (1) business day for a reply.
The Westin Portland Harborview
289 Room Hotel
The Westin Portland Harborview provides travelers a perfect vantage point to explore Maine's largest city. Originally opened in 1927 as the Eastland Park Hotel, this historic hotel has been immaculately restored. Visitors can take a short walk to discover the Old Port and some of the best restaurants, retail shops, museums and artistic venues in Maine. Guests will leave feeling better than when they arrived when they stay over in our plush rooms and suites. Each of the guest rooms feature a stunning view of downtown, the harbor or Casco Bay. Guests can enjoy a thoroughly satisfying night's sleep in a Westin Heavenly® Bed. They can re-energize in our state-of-the-art Westin WORKOUT® Fitness Studio or relax with a massage, manicure and more at Artné Spa. We offer on-site dining, including the timelessly chic Top of the East rooftop restaurant with panoramic views. Weddings and meetings thrive here with nearly 15,000 square feet of event space and a spectacular grand ballroom.