Area Director of Engineering LA Hotels
Posted September 27, 2020
5933 West Century Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Telephone (310) 981-0300
BASIC PURPOSE: Develop, implement and manage programs for the operations and maintenance of all equipment and physical structures and landscaping in compliance with corporate standards, local, state and national codes and regulations (including emergency protocol) to protect the assets, guests and employees, to ensure optimum operations, minimize expenses and maximum customer satisfaction, for all area properties, by working in conjunction with each property's engineering Department manager/supervisor.
ORGANIZATIONAL SCOPE: This position will be physically hosted out of one of our six Los Angeles based properties, and it will be directly responsible for the engineering and maintenance department of that individual building as well as overarchingly responsible for the short and long-term planning and day-to-day oversight of operations of the Engineering Division for all six properties.
This person will assist in the development of the area's engineering budget and capital expenditures and will manage expenses within approved budget constraints. This position will participate in total management as a member of the Senior Management Team, and it will report to both the VP of Operations and VP of Development.
1. Ensure that each property develops, implements and manages a maintenance program and negotiates maintenance contracts for each facility, the grounds and all of the equipment in compliance with corporate standards and local, state and national codes and regulations to ensure the safety, convenience and satisfaction of all guests, managers and employees to protect the assets and maintain the property in first-class condition. (28%)
2. Develop, recommend, implement and manage the Division's budget capital expenditure plan, forecasts and objectives consistent with maintaining a first-class property and management's expectations in cooperation with property management. (25%)
3. Coordinate renovation bidding, define the cost and scope of the project and oversee the general contractor and subcontractor to ensure quality work is performed for minimal cost. (15%)
4. Ensure that each property develops and implements all Emergency Programs; ensure all equipment is maintained with preventative maintenance programs, audit and inspection, ensuring drills are completed, ensure compliance with all codes and regulations, ensure training and development of all employees and maintain accurate records to ensure a safe environment which protects the assets, guests and employees. (12%)
5. Supervise the managers/supervisors at area properties to ensure they manage human Resources in the Division to attract, retain and motivate the staff; hire, train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, conduct performance and salary reviews, resolve problems, provide open communication vehicles, discipline and terminate, as appropriate. (10%)
6. Oversee development, implementation and management of energy conservation programs for each property to minimize expenses. (8%)
Performs special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested. (2%)
Knowledge and Skills:
Education: College or secondary school completion preferred, but not required.
- Experience required by position is from four to five years of employment in a related position with this company or other organizations(s).
- A combination of education, training and experience performing responsibilities similar to those listed above.
Skills and Abilities:
- Requires advanced knowledge of Building Management/Engineering.
- Requires knowledge of environmental and fire life safety rules, regulations, and policies. Ability to conduct job site inspections to ensure compliance.
- Ability to coordinate daily activities including work scheduling, quality assurance, program validation, monitoring of maintenance activities, and supervision of personnel.
- Demonstrated experience working with subcontractors/vendors and demonstrated ability to monitor project activities and ensure compliance with internal/external regulations.
- Must have the ability to work on deadline and handle several responsibilities simultaneously.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions and communicate those instructions to others.
- Requires considerable working knowledge of other major areas in the building and the skill to integrate and communicate that information.
- Requires analyzing activities and /or information involving some original data manipulation or interpretation to arrive at logical conclusions.
- Requires management skills. Ability to provide information and associated services to management and guests.
No. of employees supervised: Supervise approximately 5 managers/supervisors and 20 to 40 employees as necessary.
Travel required: Daily travel between area properties in Los Angeles, training classes, vendors, task force, etc.
Hours Required: Full-time over a five-day period. Additionally, on call as needed.
Interstate Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of employment. Interstate Hotels & Resorts does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, gender, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
If you need accommodation for any part of the employment process because of a medical condition or disability, please call (703) 387-3888 or email ADA.Assistance@interstatehotels.com with the nature of your accommodation request and include the Hotel location and title of the job opening. Please allow one (1) business day for a reply.
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard
231 Room Extended Stay
The Residence Inn by Marriott Los Angeles LAX/Century Boulevard boasts the largest guest suites near Los Angeles International Airport, with some suites featuring direct views of the south runway at LAX or Downtown Los Angeles. Each of the 231 guest rooms includes 1 King or 2 Queen beds, a sofa bed, plus a full kitchen with microwave, full-size refrigerator, stovetop, and all related cookware. 1- and 2-bedroom suites are also available. Standard complimentary amenities include a hot breakfast each morning, Wi-Fi access throughout the hotel, 24-hour shuttle to/from LAX airport, outdoor heated pool, and fitness center. If travelers are looking for extended stay accommodations near LAX, they need look no further. This Residence Inn hotel is the closest extended stay hotel to LAX airport, just a short drive from El Segundo and the South Bay, Santa Monica and Venice Beach, Downtown LA and Hollywood.